Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Whole Day with No Plans

Last Sunday, I woke up with nothing pressing. Nothing that I had to get up and look presentable for, nothing that I needed to prepare for, nothing scheduled. It was a delicious feeling, let me tell you! So, after reading from my current book for a while, I got up and made a list of seven things I wanted to accomplish. I finished six, which in my book, is pretty *%$# good.

1. First on my list to be accomplished was the ironing that had piled up on the ironing board. The fun part was that some of it I had left long enough that it worked the wrinkles out on its own and I could just go ahead and put it away. I do like ironing - it's relaxing, almost a meditative thing. I can get thinking done and it's very rewarding. Things are transformed!

2. After the ironing, I decided to make a card for my friend Leonard, who turned sixty on Friday, and whose surprise birthday party was last night. He is (as I am) a really big Monty Python fan, so this made sense to him, his son, and to me. Everyone else was kinda like, "huh?"


3. The next thing on my list was taking Lillabee for a walk. So, I bundled up and we went on a little explore of the neighborhood. It was a really beautiful day, nearly 50 degrees and the sun was shining. Definitely a good day for a walk.

4. When I got back, I began work on an apron made from charm squares (5" squares of fabric). I combined two charm packs of different Mary Englebreit fabric lines - one is Friends & Flowers and the other is Recipe for Friendship. The pattern is called Kitchen Charm by Indygo Junction. I modified the pattern a little bit to make finishing easier and to help it not to remind me of the Flintstones. My goal was to merely get the squares sewed together, but not to do any of the finishing - and I made it. It's quite cheery, yes?



5. Next I worked on finishing up the dishes. One of my new year's resolutions was to wash the dishes everday and I've been pretty good about it... but not as consistent lately as at first. So, I did the couple that had been hanging around and got a fresh start for the week.

6. Quite a while back I received a bunch of fabric from Firefly that I've deemed perfect for my KitchenAid cozy. (Have I mentioned I love my KitchenAid?) So, my final task for the day was to mock up the cozy, since I have the MONDO BIG KitchenAid and the only pattern I found was for the smaller ones. Turns out I made the cozy WAY too big anyway. (I'm so proud of Madeleine - I overestimate her size, even.) Here she is modelling the oversize cozy made of HIDEOUS $.50/yard fabric. My serger joined in the picture, since really it did all the work.



I do love my serger...

The final thing on my list? Folding the clean laundry. And really, that can wait. Who wants to spend a delicious free day on matching socks and trying to fold fitted sheets?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me one and I'll just about burst!