Monday, November 16, 2009

Progress with a BANG!

I had last Wednesday off, but in the spirit of readiness for Thanksgiving, I planned to get up at a reasonable hour and do serious laundry and sorting and storing of clothes. I hate to report this, but all did not go as planned.

It all started a little before 6am when both Lillabee and I woke up to crunching and banging sounds. My first thought was that someone was running into a car, then backing up and doing it again, repeatedly. Except then, BOOOM!!!! My bedroom lit up with a yellow flash. (The walls are yellow, so the flash could have been white light...) My next assumption was that my neighbor's house was on fire. I wasn't that far from wrong. It was a house one block away, but I could see it burning.

I called 911 and they already knew about it - firetrucks arrived soon. I stayed up and watched until they got it mostly out and there was just a big plume of smoke. Then I figured, "I'll get 15 minutes more sleep." (in the picture below, you can see a reflection of my bedside lamp on the window - hope it's not too confusing, it shows the smoke really well)


Three and half hours later, I woke up. There was still a smoky smell in the air, but the fire was out and it was definitely later than I meant to sleep!


I had some delicious pancakes, taking full advantage of the day off work. They were so good. My co-workers teased me a bit for taking pictures of food. See what I do for you? This way you can enjoy my day off, too!


Finally, I'd like to share what I've been sewing away on for the last week and half. It's the quilt of merryheathreness, and you wouldn't believe the work that goes into making a quilt look like you didn't plan it. It's slow going, but I'm trying to remember that, like all things in life, I'm only going to be doing this sewing once, so I can enjoy the process and if it takes a while, it just makes it more memorable.

Tonight we're having a storm and I wish the wind would stop. Have I mentioned I really don't like wind? Well, I don't. And we get it a lot. Grrrrrr...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me one and I'll just about burst!